DelhiIndiaLatest News

1,643kg of illicit drugs worth Rs 2,622 crore set ablaze in Delhi

Over 1,600 kg of illicit narcotics worth Rs 2,622 crore went up in flames as Delhi Police conducted a massive drug destruction event on Thursday.

Lieutenant governor VK Saxena kicked off the operation, which was held at a waste solution plant’s incinerator on GT Karnal Road. Saxena appreciated police’s efforts and asked them to intensify the drive against narcotics traffickers. “This initiative is a significant step towards eradicating drugs from their roots and ensuring a safer, healthier capital for all citizens,” Saxena said.

Police commissioner Sanjay Arora said this destruction was conducted as part of the govt’s commitment to achieving a “drug-free Delhi” by 2027 and demonstrated their zero-tolerance policy against narcotics.

The total of 1,643 kg of illicit narcotics which were destroyed included 529 kg of cannabis, 27 kg of charas, 11 kg of heroin, 15 grams of MDMA, 542 kg of poppy straw, 8 kg of ketamine and 6 kg of ephedrine. Notably, 517 kg of cocaine was also destroyed on Thursday, which was part of a larger seizure of 1,289 kg of cocaine recovered during a massive haul last year.

Special commissioner Devesh Srivastava said that the exercise sent a strong message to drug traffickers. “Over the past two years, police have destroyed significant quantities of narcotics, with an estimated international market value of Rs 5,997 crore.

In 2024, Delhi Police registered 1,789 cases under the NDPS Act, resulting in the arrest of 2,290 drug traffickers. Financial investigations led to the seizure of assets worth over Rs 4 crore, with an additional Rs 5 crore of assets in the final stages of financial investigation,” Srivastava said.

Police also proposed proceedings under the PIT-NDPS Act against several drug traffickers and peddlers involved in narco-smuggling and trafficking. This move aims to curb repeat offenders and disrupt the drug supply chain in the city.

“Delhi Police also launched a comprehensive one-month pilot campaign, which includes raids on hostels, schools, colleges, shops, hotels, pubs, bars and restaurants. Random checks of auto and taxi drivers are being conducted too,” Srivastava further said.

Police have urged the public to come forward with any information on narco-related activities and are offering cash rewards for tips that lead to successful operations. The public can provide information anonymously through the Manas portal, which has been launched by Narcotics Control Bureau.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button