DelhiIndiaLatest News

3-Year-Old Boy Dies After Falling Into Open Drain in Khajuri Khas

A three-year-old boy died after falling into an open drain in northeast Delhi’s Khajuri Khas on Friday. According to police, they received information at the Khajuri Khas police station at 1.39 pm regarding the “drowning of a child in a drain”.

“Upon reaching Gali No. 22 in Khajuri Khas, police found that a three-year-old boy had drowned in an open drain while playing outside his house. The boy was taken to the hospital, where doctors declared him dead on arrival,” said DCP (Northeast) Ashish Kumar Mishra.

The child’s uncle said that the boy was playing with his eight-year-old sister when he accidentally slipped and fell. “He was on a small tricycle with his sister when he fell into the open drain,” the relative said. The deceased, identified as Vishwajit Kumar, was the son of Ramvilas Singh, who works as a peon in a private company, while his mother is a homemaker.

According to the child’s uncle, Vishwajit’s sister was the first to notice that her brother had fallen into the drain. “While she raised an alarm, no one came forward to help at first. There were one or two bystanders, but they did not react. She was crying frantically and couldn’t explain the situation properly as she herself is just a child,” he said.

“It was only after about 10 minutes that a third person stepped in, pulled the boy out, and rushed him to the hospital. But by then, it was too late—he had already passed away. His mother only found out when his sister came home crying, and a bystander explained what had happened,” he added.

The grieving uncle expressed frustration over the negligence surrounding open drains in the area. “The drain has been open for years, and tragedies like this keep happening, but nothing is done. How are we supposed to live here knowing our children aren’t safe?”

Vishwajit’s birthday was approaching in April, and he was just days away from turning three. DCP Mishra said a case has been registered under Section 106 (death due to negligence) of the BNS, and further investigation is underway.

This is not the first such incident in Delhi. In Nov last year, a 13-year-old boy named Vikas drowned after falling into an open drain in West Delhi’s Nangloi. Similarly, in Oct, a seven-year-old boy’s body was discovered in an open drain in Northeast Delhi four days after he went missing from his home in Gokalpuri.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button